Pages

Friday, December 6, 2013

Just Two Midwest Girls Scrap Challenge: Holiday Cards!!


And....we are back with another fun challenge for you all!  We had three people play along with us for our Kill A Kit challenge.  All three readers had just awesome projects!  If you want to check out their projects, all three are linked in the comments section on Kelly's blog.  Drum roll please....the winner is...Heather Adams!  I used random.org to select the winner.  Heather (great name, by the way!), please email me at heather.sweet12@gmail.com so I can get you your $5 gift certificate to Two Peas.

This challenge round comes at the right time (funny how we planned that!):  holiday cards!  I love making cards!  I've definitely gotten back into my card-makin' roots in the past few months.  For those that do not know, I finally opened up an Etsy shop to sell my cards, which was a goal of mine for 2013.  You can browse my little shop, Sweetly Made Designs, anytime you want.  Bare with me on the storefront though, I'm completely behind in creating my holiday banner and getting more holiday cards up.  I'm a newbie, but I'm learning and will be ready for the next holiday seasons.

Anyways...back to the challenge.  As you know, from this post, I decided on the Christmas cards I would be making to send out to family and friends.  I do not even have those started yet, so I will not be showing you those today, but they are on my blog schedule for next week!

Enough of me talking, here are my cards!



Yes, these cards are in my Christmas tree!  I was experimenting a little with lighting and embracing the holiday season.  Forgive me if it's not your cup of tea, but I kind of like it.  This card is a gift card holder!  The card sits in the white fold inside.  This design comes from my Stampin' UP! club I belong to and it's super simple to make once you figure out the theme of your card.  I will post a tutorial on gift card holders this weekend or early next week.  So, if this is something that peaks your interest, do not worry, I will provide more details on another post.



This card would be excellent to send in the mail because of it's minimum layers.  I love the look of stamped white images on kraft cardstock.  It's just gorgeous!  This card could easily be made in mass production.  The only thing that would make the process a bit longer is having to heat emboss the "Merry Everything" sentiment.  So, I stamped various snowflakes all over my card front, cut a banner from vellum and heat embossed the sentiment in gold (LOVE LOVE LOVE GOLD), and then added a few gemstones to a few snowflakes.  Simple, but gorgeous.

I obviously did not do a good job with the lighting on this card.  Dang man dang!

This card is super simple to make!  I really like the look of Maile Belles' cards:  clean, simple, lots of white space.  This card was inspired by her style.  "dashing through the" is stamped in silver ink through the "SNOW" stamp.  It's so clever!  And the snowflake is punched from silver glitter paper using a Martha Stewart punch.  You could make a ton of these in 30 minutes.  I used this stamp set from Papertrey Ink.  There are some other words or phrases you can use along with the big "SNOW" sentiment.  




These are easily, my favorite holiday cards I've made this season.  I don't know what it is about them, but I am in love!  These can also be made in mass production, but it would take a just a bit longer to complete because of the white embossed wreath, the circle that is die cut from the middle, and the coordinating envelope (if that's something you're interested in doing).  I just sold a custom set of these (with various sayings in the middle of the wreath) on my Etsy shop.  People really love them!


And here is just a simple, mini holiday-themed "Thank You" card.  I have actually never written any thank yous for Christmas, but this year, I just may.  This cute, mini, square card is something I include in my holiday-themed orders from my shop.  

Okay, there you have it!  Lots of holiday card inspiration!  Don't forget, I will have a tutorial up soon on making gift card holders.  Gift cards are popular during this season and what better way to dress up one than with a handmade "home" just for that card!

Play along with us this time!  Link up your holiday-themed cards.  You have until Thursday evening, December 19th to link up your projects in my comments section or in Kelly's comments section.  Remember, those that play have a chance of winning a $5 gift certificate to Two Peas in a Bucket!

Now, go check out Kelly's holiday cards!  They are super cute and she has a little bonus project included in her post!

Happy card-making,
Heather

No comments: