Pages

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

My First Layout of 2014!

Man, does it feel good to be making a layout!  After a bazillion Christmas cards, tags, etc. and my Christmas album (which is almost finished!), I really enjoyed doing something non-Christmas.

I was finally able to bust open my Citrus Twist November Darling Scrapbook Main Kit.  This kit has this gorgeous fuchsia streak throughout the month's selection.  And there is a little touch of the Pantone's 2014 color of the year:  radiant orchid.  And if you guys don't know, purple is my absolute favorite color.  When the 2014 color was announced, I was ecstatic!  I'm getting off topic...

As I was saying, I was really looking forward to making a layout.  I hadn't made a layout since the end of October/beginning of November.  

I've been browsing Pinterest a lot recently, especially for layout sketches for a project that I will be posting about in a few weeks.  I was loving all these sketches I had pinned and those I was seeing on various blogs.  I think I'd like to use more sketches as inspiration starting points for my layouts this year.  

Citrus Twist Kits Sketch by Kasia
 I decided on this sketch I found on the Citrus Twist Kits blog from June 2013.  And here is my interpretation of this sketch.

Supplies:  royal blue textured solid color cardstock; Heidi Swapp Mixed Company-Good Life patterned paper;   Dear Lizzy Polka Dot Party-Polka Dot Plates patterned paper;  Heidi Swapp Mixed Company Ephemera packDear Lizzy Gold Soiree Glitter Foam Thickers by American Crafts;   Blue Corn Navy Alphabean Stickers by Jillibean Soup; washi tape; gold doily; fuchsia doily; sequins; glassine bag

Aren't the colors just beautiful?!  Everything I used is from the Citrus Twist November Darling Main Scrapbook kit (linked above).  The only supplies from my stash are the small piece of gray patterned paper (from a previous CT kit), the gold doily, the navy blue alphas, and the tag.  


I purchased a sun ray background from the Silhouette online store.  I resized the original to a smaller image and then cut it out on a different piece of patterned paper.  I then used that as a stencil to cut out the rays from my fuchsia patterned paper.  The image had a frame around it, and I didn't want that as part of my layout, so that's why I decided to create a "stencil" to still achieve the sunburst look.


As you can see from these photos, the only part of my layout that follows the sketch really closely is the sunburst image, patterned paper layers and placement of the photo.  


I love how I can start to follow the sketch very closely, but then I usually get so inspired and my layout becomes my own.  I love the bright, unusual color scheme for this layout.  It has definitely set the mood for my creativity this year!

xoxo,
Heather

4 comments:

Fleursbydesign said...

Great layout, love the touch of gold :)

Patricia said...

Nice interpretation of the sketch! I like the gold you used against the other colors.

Marcia Dehn-Nix said...

Hello Heather! Kelly has me looking at other people's blogs with her Liebster award. What a fun way to get to know people. Love your take on the sketch here BTW.

Mary Jo said...

Definitely pretty colors and layering!