Pages

Monday, September 16, 2013

Coffee & College Series

Hollie is back with her second posting for her series, Coffee & College!

Hello everyone, I hope you had a fantastic weekend!

I am about 5 weeks into college. I've gotten through the first night, the first weekend, the start of classes, the assignments, papers, quizzes and tests for my first month. I've learned how the shuttle works, when the libraries are open (believe me when I say this, I spend A LOT of time there), cafeteria hours, and the residential hall life. I have gone to multiple events to meet people and even joined University Programs Board, already working on some events for the coming months. And I have even managed to explore downtown, the metro, and campus with my friends. But I'm only getting started. 

After my first month here at UMSL, I can tell you this is exactly where I want to be, where I'm supposed to be. I had to conquer my fear of saying goodbye to my family and friends back home. I can't tell you how much of a wreck I was when I was leaving Springfield. I had to say goodbye to my friends who turned into family and had to realize my life was going to change drastically, and FAST. The biggest thing I overcame was leaving my past and demons in Springfield and beginning my journey to the future in St. Louis. Being away from home and my friends while I've been here has made me miss everyone terribly, but this is my life now and I'm ready to begin.

I want to share with you guys an enlightenment I have had recently. Other than the basic changes most college students go through, I have really opened my mind and my heart to different things. I want to have the best college experience. Now, you might be asking "What is she getting at? She makes no sense right now". One word. Greek. I have officially decided that I am going to go Greek! And I couldn't be more happy with my decision. Ask me a month ago, hell, ask me a week ago if I would join a sorority and I would have responded with "Nahh, that isn't my kind of thing. I'm not a sorority girl". But I got to thinking. I need something else. I haven't done as much or met as many people as I thought I would have by now. As I walked into my residential hall this past Friday, I saw an arrangement of tables all with representatives from the 3 sorority options we have on campus. It got me thinking, and boy did I think loooong and hard about this decision. I had to remind myself that even though I have told countless people I wouldn't join a sorority, it would be okay if I changed my mind. I didn't want to be viewed as a hypocrite. But I let go of that fear and walked myself down to those tables and introduced myself. After a long talk with the sororities, I registered for Recruitment Week (formally known as RUSH). 

I have been waiting all weekend (and yes, it feels like it has been forever) for this week to begin. I'll be visiting houses and attending events all this week. And I will get my bid on Saturday! I can't wait to let you know how it all turns out. 



Wish me luck!

xoxo,
Hollie

1 comment:

Mary Jo said...

Oh my goodness, I want to UMSL to study Early Childhood Education but I graduated way back in 1994. :)
We still live here in STL! There really is a lot of fun stuff to do.
Good luck with finding the right sorority :)