Pages

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Just Two Midwest Girls Scrap Challenge: Color, Color, Color!

 

**If you're looking for my Pinterest Crafting post, it is the post below this!

Happy Weekend Everyone!  I'm definitely looking forward my 3-day weekend as I'll be scrapping all day Monday!  So, Kelly and I are back today with another Just Two Midwest Girls scrap challenge!  For the Valentine card challenge winner, check out Kelly's blog!

For this round, we thought we'd play around with a color palette.  We see them all over Pinterest.  We're starting to see them as inspirational starting pieces in the papercrafting world.  We see them all over!  Kelly and I picked a palette that has a winter-y feel to it, even though both of us are completely over this weather.  


Here is the palette we worked with for this challenge.  Aren't the colors just gorgeous?  I will admit though, as I was putting together a kit for this challenge, it was difficult for me to find those colors in my stash.  I'm not much of a darker color, monotone grayish blue scrapper.  


I wanted to put together a kit to make this process a little easier.  I took my time pulling these colors from my stash in papers, journaling cards, stickers, alphas, embellishments, etc.  I even pulled out some pieces from my November 2013 Citrus Twist scrapbook kit (which at this moment I still hadn't killed).  I cut some winter berries from white cardstock with my Cameo (not shown in photo).  And I even picked a sketch.  There were a couple things I wanted to use on this layout:  a winter-y photo and Project Life/journaling cards (because I have tons and need to start using them).  This is the first time I've ever pulled my own kit together.  I wanted to have everything in one place because I knew I'd be working on this layout off and on; I didn't want to have to put everything away after each time and then possibly forget what I had pulled out previously.

Citrus Twist Kits Sunday Sketch: 1.26.14
  Here's the sketch I chose to work with based on that semi-photo collage of my sister and I posing for the camera in the snow.

Sister Shenanigans
 And here is my completed layout!  I apologize for the lighting.  I took these photos in the evening a couple nights ago.  I didn't finish it the previous weekend so I could take advantage of some natural light.  I worked mostly with that blue and the reds in the color palette.  I didn't have soft enough grays for my liking in my stash.  Also, I didn't embellish as much on this layout as I usually do.  I didn't have too many embellishments in this color scheme and I also wanted to stick strictly with my kit.  I didn't dive into any of my stash after I started putting this layout together.  What I picked out a couple weeks before was what I was going to work with.



My background wood plank paper and the blue paper is from Dear Lizzy's Polka Dot Party.  All the other papers are from Glitz Designs' Finley collection.  The kraft cardstock is from scrap bucket, the kraft pocket is from a We R Memory Keepers' journaling cards kit, and the journaling cards are Project Life Midnight Edition.  I plan to write my journaling on the white and gray polka dot card tucked in that pocket.




I'm not really happy with how those winter berries turned out.  One, the image didn't cut very well because of its delicate nature and because I didn't adjust the settings to make it cut slower.  I was cutting these berries with scrap white paper.  I cut a few of them a couple times before I realized I need to change my settings.  And by then, I ran out of big enough white scraps; I didn't want to cut into a new sheet.  Anyways, I knew I wanted to watercolor them, but the brown on the branch didn't blend well enough with the red berries.  Oh well, I just need to practice my watercoloring technique.  I probably should have used watercolor paper...



 This layout came together really quickly.  I feel like the base of my pages come together really quickly these days, but the title and embellishment sometimes give me a difficult time.  The embellishment on this page definitely gave me a difficult time.  I didn't have much to work with, so I just had to put a few word stickers down and sprinkle some sequins and call it a day.

Okay, now it's your turn to play with these colors!  


Details


  1. link up your project, new or old, to this post in the comments section OR in the comments section on Kelly's blog OR onto our Facebook page--link in my side bar
  2. those that play along are entered to win a 6"x6" paper pad from Fancy Pants Blissful Blizzard collection; the colors just go so well with this challenge!
  3. Challenge ends at 8pm CST on Thursday, February 27th--MY BIRTHDAY!
We hope that you guys come play along with us!  We can't wait to see what you make!  Now, go check out Kelly's blog.  I think she made another one of her wonderful mini albums!

xoxo,
Heather


No comments: