Pages

Friday, February 28, 2014

Practical Scrappers DT Project: Birthday Cards

Happy Friday everyone!  Today, over on the Practical Scrappers, we're showcasing birthday cards!  And, in case you weren't aware, my birthday was yesterday (tons of birthday photos on Instagram @hsweet12), so I obviously had to participate.


Isn't this birthday card so fun and happy, not to mention, trendy?!  I tried a new-to-me technique with some new-to-me products.  I do not know many Distress products.  I have a few Distress ink pads and a couple Distress paints, but that's it.  I was not really a fan of them because I'm a bright scrapper.  But, after watching so many of Jennifer McGuire's YouTube videos, I knew I needed to start making the investment.  So, I went to my LSS and bought six new Distress markers.

This technique I'm pretty sure I saw on Jennifer McGuire's channel, but I cannot find the video.  She used Distress markers to "watercolor" over a white embossed background.  I definitely wanted to try this because 1) it looked fun, 2) it looked really pretty, 3) it looked easy, and 4) it's a technique that can be used for any background stamp to customize lots of cards. 


The embossing is not perfect, but that doesn't bother me too much.  I think it adds a fun touch.
I used this chevron background stamp I got at Michael's; their Recollection brand.  I heat embossed this stamp on watercolor paper (because you use a lot of water to get your color to spread and blend) with white embossing powder.  I then used my markers in ripe persimmon, squeezed lemonade, and picked raspberry.  I just scribbled each color over portions of the paper.  Then, I misted the paper all over with some water and tipped the paper to the side to let the extra water drip off.  I didn't tip it down because I didn't want the colors to run into each other too much.  I just wanted a nice blend of the colors.

I cut down the background panel because I didn't like all the extra paper around the image, so my card is a bit smaller than I 4.25"x5.50" card.  It measures 3 5/8"x4 5/8".  I stamped the birthday sentiment (So Much to Say from Lawn Fawn) with black ink onto white cardstock, cut into a pennant shape.  I adhered the sentiment onto a larger pennant shape cut from black cardstock.  I used foam dots to adhere the sentiment to the card panel.  The card panel is adhered onto a heavyweight card base.  I used black puffy paint to mimic enamel dots to "underline" the sentiment.  I didn't have black enamel dots and that would have been a lot to use.  Puffy paints are a great and inexpensive product to get that enamel dot look.  I bought a package of 15 puffy paint bottles at Walmart for $12 or something like that.  You just have to let them dry for a few hours.

Looking back at this card, I think I'll add some black stars in the upper right corner to give the card some more fun.

So, that's it for me today.  Go check out the Practical Scrappers blog for more birthday card inspiration.  There are a ton of lovely cards! 

Have a great Friday!
Heather

No comments: